In 1986, the skis were skinny and the snow was fat, during a 14 foot storm, the infamous underground crew of the Jackson Hole Air Force was going stir crazy in the Bear Claw Café, waiting for the mountain to open. In those days the bartender would send a freshly filled beer mug sliding down the bar to the patron who ordered it. One fateful night a beer mug slid off the end of the bar, took air, was caught seconds before a glass shattering catastrophe, and promptly pounded. Gelande Quaffing was born. Apres’ ski competitions followed, testing the unique skills of all who entered, and provided exciting entertainment for all spectators. But somewhere along the way Gelande Quaffing was lost and the après ski spirit forgotten.
20 years later, the site of the original Bear Claw Café won’t let its voice be forgotten. On February 24th, 2008 the Village Cafe hosted the Annual Gelande Quaffing World Championships, and the spirit of the past lives on again at the base of the Big One. This unprecedented event will host entrees from throughout the snowsports industry and remind the world of ski culture’s colorful past.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/hNCFSWL5YZs” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Feb 24, 2010 Gelande Quaffing World Championship Eyes on the prize!
Teams from local Jackson Hole businesses please be aware as this event grows, spots in the future World Championships will be limited and based on how far you have made it in the first 4 years of competition. There will be regional qualifying competitions throughout the year to determine who makes it from JH to the Worlds. This year we will have brackets filled from Whistler, BC, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, California, and more. Sponsors will always have a secured spot in the Worlds.
1. 4 person teams, no subs.
2. 1 minute for first 3 rounds, finals are 2 minutes.
3. Quaffer must be 2 feet from the edge of the bar.
4. Must rotate pitcher and quaffer every pitch.
5. You CANNOT pitch until beer is down and mug touches the bar again!
6. You must quaff the beer, not wear it.
7. No puking, puking results in immediate team disqualification.
8. In the event of a tie, each team will choose 1 quaffer and 1 pitcher, and the team with the fastest Gelande Quaff wins.
Round 1: 1 point regular catch, 2 points handle catch.